Materials Innovation Engineer
Posted on: July 31, 2022
Position: Materials Innovation EngineerLocation: Troy, MIDirect
- Responsible for identifying, organizing, preparing, and
execution of projects in pursuit of advanced materials
- Forward thinker focused on the innovative trends in the
industry and must have expertise in lightweighting, cost effective,
recyclable and sustainable solutions.
- Demonstrated knowledge of injection molded plastics, metal
stampings and metal-plastic hybrid solutions.
- Work closely with the Engineering Director and with BD team to
identify and align innovative materials initiatives for the
identified applications. Track and monitor the progress and align
with customer expectations for the same.
- Demonstrates knowledge of OEM specifications and approval
- Partner with supply base and materials providers to seek new
solutions to lightweighting, higher stiffness and manufacturing
feasible efficient designs.
- Closely working with other Client Engineers and also directly
with customer engineering understand the specifications and
requirements from the customer on the focused products.
- Initiate innovation initiatives and bring them to successful
completion by utilizing benchmarking, prototyping, and working
closely with suppliers and Client team
- Work closely with global subject matter experts, specifically,
with engineering team in Germany.
- Participate in industry seminars and materials conferences to
stay abreast of the innovative solutions being developed/offered
for automotive applications
- Must have the ability to multi-task and manage several
initiative with different team members or customers at the same
- Participate in brainstorming sessions with Business Development
and cross functional team members to develop concepts into
commercially viable product offerings that fit the current and
future product portfolio
- Requires strong communication skills to effectively convey
technical information to engineers and non-technical people.
- Execute assigned R&D and track progress working closely
with the Engineering Director
- Act as a "project manager" for the assigned innovation
initiative by keeping timelines and tracking budget for the
initiatives (time and cost tracking).
- Understanding of intellectual property and experience of
dealing with patent is a plus.
- Required to work with legal staff to pursue applicable
intellectual properties and patent applications, as required.
- Benchmark competitively, and support making and testing
- Interfaces with customers as required in support of new
research and development projects as well as new business
- Responsible for transition of technology to the Development
- Researches new materials and technology and uses problem
solving methodology during development to screen and prove the
- Must have a knack to follow industry trends and to understand
customer's advanced development strategies.
- Must be very familiar with Microsoft office, very familiar with
writing reports and creating presentations.
- Understand and comply with company EHS policyRelated
- Material Solutions for light weight applications
- 5+ years of experience in materials engineering and at least 3
years of direct automotive specific experience.
- Unique multi material solutions for automotive underhood
- Metal-plastic hybrid structural parts
- Organo Inlays, glass / carbon fibers matts
- Injection molding, compression molding
- Filled/ Unfilled Polypropylene, Nylons, and other Thermoplastic
- Polymer Supply Base
- Sustainable / Recycled Materials
- Composite Materials
- Plastic Additives / Fillers / Fibers
- ASTM / ISO Testing for Plastics
- Metal Stampings principles
- Structural Mechanics
- 2nd language German will be a plus
- Must be willing to travel
- Ability to execute independently in research areas is a
- Resourceful, pulls together the necessary tools, equipment and
people to get the job doneEducation:
- Master's degree in mechanical or Materials Engineering or
related field; PHD degree is a plus
Keywords: RGBSI, Troy , Materials Innovation Engineer, Engineering , Troy, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!