Company: PLASTIC OMNIUM
Posted on: May 24, 2023
*About the job*
*Position Name:* Tooling Engineer
*Location:* Troy, Michigan
* Design initial molding tool concepts, perform tool DFM analysis, provide DFM guidance to product design engineers and collaborate with tool shops during tool design/construction/validation
* Provide quick turn around on part and tooling cost estimates for injection molded plastic and metal stamped parts for formal quotes to be submitted to our OEM customer.
* Analyze the cost of BOM, raw materials, process and tooling according to engineer data and HBPO internal cost estimating tools.
* Lead tooling meetings and design reviews with tooling suppliers. Track and maintain a record of all the tools being developed with the key milestones and track the progress and report the progress to Director Engineering
* Responsible for the validation of Injection Tool concepts. Review and finalize the tool concept and subsequently the tool designs from tooling suppliers. Review and approve Mold Flow, Warp Analysis, etc
* Deliver tooling breaks downs for parts production and tooling at a level that can be submitted on customer break down forms.
* Master HBPO tooling cost estimation tools and align these models with regional updates to accurately predict regional estimates for different regions in North America (Canada, Mexico, USA). Work with Head Quarter (Germany) Leads to align and adopt cost calculation models.
* Establish and model various cost scenarios with different cavitation and volumes to propose the most optimal tooling-part cost estimations to the project team.
* Work closely with Program Manager and Director of Engineering to develop the tooling timeline and align it with major program milestones. Provide regular updates and flag any delays and work with the supplier to mitigate timing risks
* Guide the design engineering team early in the design phase to keep tooling cost optimal by offering alternative recommendations for features that are driving the tooling cost higher.
* Work with the supplier to develop and approve quotes for injection mold and metal stampings tools and parts. Review supplier breakdowns, and understand all cost influent factors, compare against benchmarks, engage supplier and optimize supplier quotations.
* Responsible for supporting trial runs, FOTs,
* Travel to existing plants, suppliers and to future sites is necessary
* Resolve manufacturing problems involved in the injection molding/ stamping of products.
* Supervise suppliers, document and optimize the execution of automation equipment, end of arm tools, injection molding machines and other tooling
* Training, mentoring and development of process engineers and technicians for optimal injection molding operations
* Provide feedback to design engineering in regards to optimal tooling and processing practices using lessons learned system and the best industry standard practices.
* Develop key process indicators for monitoring and reporting in HBPO injection molding operations
* Value Stream Map development to assigned processes/plants
* Waste reduction utilizing Lean Principles
* Scientific approach in developing injection molding processes and improvement
* Responsibilities assigned by RD Director
* Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering (BSME) or equivalent is mandatory with minimum 5 years experience.
* 5+ years in injection molding tooling design and must possess strong background in injection molded structural automotive parts.
* Experience performing analytical validation of Injection tooling concepts through simulation tools such as Moldflow Analysis.
* Demonstrated record of Tool Design, tracking the tool development, monitoring and reporting the tool timing using project schedules, phases, milestones, tasks and required activities.
* Experience in supporting tool trial runs, helping injection molder to find the optimal process to get the part to print
* A self-starter who can accomplish most of the tasks with minimal supervision and can prepare and present reports for management and for customer tooling reviews.
* Supporting purchasing activities related to sourcing of tools and piece price cost estimation.
* Metal stampings knowledge/ experience
* Injection Molding Tooling Design and Build. Injection Molding processing.
* Additional Metal stampings knowledge/ experience is a strong plus.
* Relevant Automotive tooling experience 5+yrs
* Effective project management and organizational skills. Demonstrated project management in managing the tool development is required.
*Skills & Abilities:*
* Ability to use basic functions of Microsoft Excel, Word and Power Point
* Tooling Cost Estimating, BOM - part cost estimating is a plus
* Master Molder, Moldflow Analysis, Six Sigma, Catia, 3D Cad
* Plastic Injection molding, Metal Stampings, Plastic+Metal hybrids.
* Cost estimation -Injection Molding Tooling & Parts.
* Working knowledge of CAD (CATIA/UGNX) is required.
* Familiar with automotive OEM Tooling forms and Tooling standards
* Strong written and oral communication skills.
* Demonstrated ability to handle project with multiple work streams
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $100,000.00 - $110,000.00 per year
* Health insurance
* Paid time off
* 8 hour shift
* Monday to Friday
* Weekend availability
* Manufacturing facility
Ability to commute/relocate:
* Troy, MI 48084: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
Work Location: In person
*About the job*
Keywords: PLASTIC OMNIUM, Troy , Tooling Engineer, Engineering , Troy, Michigan
here to apply!