Assistant General Counsel, Litigation & Operations
Company: Meritor Inc
Posted on: May 3, 2021
This position will be responsible for managing litigation in a
variety of areas, including but not limited to asbestos, products
liability, environmental and commercial litigation. The Assistant
General Counsel will manage the company's national and local
litigation counsel and will serve as a liaison between outside
counsel and the company's internal business managers and the
The Director of Operations will also optimize outdated
processes, streamline operations, and increase efficiencies within
the Department. We are seeking an individual who is business-minded
and aimed at identifying and implementing increased efficiencies,
utilizing technology, implementing process changes to mitigate
risk, and maximizing existing tools to mitigate operational and
financial risk for the organization. We are looking for a strategic
partner to Chief Legal Officer, and an individual who will foster
strong peer to peer relationships in order to facilitate a culture
of teamwork and collaboration.
- Advising the General Counsel on the selection and retention of
outside counsel and establishing procedures for evaluating the
quality and cost of those relationships.
- Providing counsel on the business and legal ramifications of
litigation matters and offering advice on how to mitigate
- Litigation management and rights enforcement with an emphasis
on product liability issues, including asbestos, antitrust,
environmental, commercial disputes and securities matters.
- Experience assessing legal risk in challenging situations -
compressed timing and issues of significant consequence to the
- Ability to create change and relentlessly innovate to
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to apply rigorous
logic to solving complex litigation challenges.
- Design a strategic roadmap, addressing process changes,
technology adoption, and internal/external collaboration.
- Strategic thinkers should see the bigger picture and be capable
of planning how the legal department will continuously evolve.
- Data-driven, making it essential for any potential legal
operations candidate to be comfortable diving into the numbers, and
understanding how those numbers drive the department's costs.
- Work in-step with finance to prepare month- and year-end
budgets, provide accrual data, and ensure compliance with financial
requirements and SOX.
- Work with external providers to implement creative value and
results oriented results through fixed fee or contingency
- Excellent academic credentials including a Juris Doctorate
(J.D.) and admitted to practice law in at least one State.
- At least 8-10 years of experience with a focus on representing
corporations in complex litigation matters, including asbestos and
products liability litigation.
- The ability to build effective partnerships with
- The ability effectively to communicate complex legal issues to
company executives and other non-legal personnel.
- Experience partnering with business managers and providing
leadership is highly desired.
- The ability to understand the business and relate legal issues
to business goals.
- The ability to think critically and make clear and
well-reasoned decisions; have the ability to see and handle more
than the legal issues of a project; possess a strong, pragmatic
business acumen with the ability to recognize the broader
consequences of legal advice; and be a strategic and innovative
thinker who can bring value to clients and find creative solutions
to complex legal problems.
- Strong financial acumen and project management skills.
Meritor is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin,
disability, or protected veteran status.
Keywords: Meritor Inc, Troy , Assistant General Counsel, Litigation & Operations, Other , Troy, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!