Company: Beaumont Hospitals
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Under general supervision and in accordance with department
policy and procedure, this position is responsible for simulating
patients for radiation treatment planning and providing radiation
therapy to patients as prescribed by the radiation oncologist.
- Administers prescribed doses of radiation to specific body
parts using radiation therapy equipment.
- Administers contrast material if indicated; monitors patient
closely. Administers medical treatment to patient having adverse
reaction to contrast and notifying doctor.
- Reviews prescription, diagnosis, patient chart and
identification; validates actual treatment dosages delivered during
- Prepares and constructs equipment such as immobilization,
treatment and protection devices, including electron blocks. Checks
radiation therapy equipment to ensure proper operation.
- Observes the clinical progress of the radiation oncology
patient. Uses clinical decision-making skills to recognize and
report any signs of complications. Observes and reassures patients
during treatment, reports unusual reaction, halts treatment if
unexpected adverse reactions occur.
- Educates, prepares and reassures patients and their families by
answering questions, providing physical assistance and reinforcing
the physician's advice regarding treatment reactions and post
- Able to prepare the treatment room and equipment and positions
patients for treatment in a timely manner with accuracy according
to prescription without direct supervision.
- Able to acquire proper imaging as directed by the physician
(port films and conebeam CT (CBCT/IGRT)).
- Requires basic computer and keyboarding skills. Enters data
into computer and sets controls to operate, adjusts equipment,
regulates dosage and enters pertinent paperwork into the Mosaiq
chart. Maintains patient medical records, reports and files
including radiation dosages, equipment setting and patient
reactions. Prepares accurate billing records for procedures.
- Assists in the preparation of physical and technical aspects of
radiation treatment plans.
- Evaluates, teaches and monitors the clinical and didactic
education of radiation therapy and diagnostic students under the
established guidelines of the program.
- Responsible for education and training of new personnel and
completing probationary objectives and evaluations.
- Conducts pertinent QA (weekly chart checks, daily billing,
daily machine warm ups, mapchecks, diodes).
- Assists in policy updates, follows all hospital and
departmental policies and procedures, and acts as department safety
- Performs patient scheduling for external beam treatment
delivery and updates treatment schedules as needed.
- Attends work on schedule, stays for remainder of shift, and
participates in on call rotations.
- Coordinates with other divisions both in and outside the
department (physics, nursing, dosimetry, clerical, and physicians,
patient escorts) to ensure clear communication line is established
and to coordinate care issues as required.
- Participates in Brachytherapy and EBRT chart rounds as needed,
per department requirements.
- Audits charts upon treatment completion, based on department
- Purchases supplies related to CT simulation and treatment
This document represents the major duties, responsibilities, and
authorities of this job, and is not intended to be a complete list
of all tasks and functions. It should be understood, therefore,
that incumbents may be asked to perform job-related duties beyond
those explicitly described.
- Supports the Mission, Value and Vision of Beaumont Health (BH).
Demonstrates personal commitment through active involvement in the
performance improvement process.
- Exhibits excellent customer service skills and behaviors toward
internal and external customers and co-workers. Promotes positive
public relations with patients/residents, family members, guests,
- Supports and adheres to all Beaumont Health's customer service,
service excellence, and performance standards. Supports and
participates with all required compliance standards that may be
department specific and/or identified by the organizations
including in-service training, acceptable attendance, uniform and
- Adheres to HIPAA requirements and maintains confidentiality of
all data, including patient/resident, employee and operations
- Supports and participates in a collaborative team-oriented
environment - cooperates and works together with all co-workers,
plans and completes job duties, uses appropriate communications in
sensitive and emotional situations and follows up as appropriate
regarding reported complaints, problems and concerns.
- Supports, cooperates with and demonstrates safe work practices
and attitudes, follows safety rules - including universal
precautions - reports and prevents/corrects unsafe conditions and
behaviors, and participates in organizational and departmental
- Completes all required compliance standards that may be
department specific and/or identified by the organization.
- Maintains current licensure, registration and/or certification,
as applicable, at all times.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed
below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability
required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
- Education / Training:
- At minimum, requires a level of knowledge normally acquired
through the completion of an associate or bachelor's degree.
- Work Experience:
- Position contingent upon successful completion of a
certification in radiation therapy within 90 days of hire.
- Requires demonstrated knowledge of radiation therapy
procedures, treatment plans and delivery, radiation oncology, and
- Certification, Licensure, Registration:
- Must be board-eligible with board certification within 90 days
of program graduation or 90 days of hire.
- Certification by the American Registry of Radiologic
Technologists (ARRT) for Radiation Therapy. BLS CPR certification
- Other Qualifications:
- Requires demonstrated proficiency using linear accelerator and
- Commitment to follow the Radiation Code of Ethics.
Keywords: Beaumont Hospitals, Troy , Radiation Therapist, Other , Troy, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!